Two posts in as many days! Mad isn’t it?
I’m in the process of getting fit for 2012 – that means 2 things to me; losing weight and building up the hill muscles. The losing weight thing is the harder of the two – by a long way. So I was intrigued by an email that arrived in my Inbox this afternoon (narrowly missing the spam filter I’m sure).
It started off as a personal message “Just came across your website / blog. Just thought I might be able to offer some nutritional advice”. Now my blog is sub-titled The thoughts and musings of a fat fellwalker, so I thought this guy may be on the level, just offering some advice, based on my blog title.
His next three lines almost made me delete the message out of hand, they are dripping with the sort of phraseology that litters spam messages: “I have been researching nutrition for many years now and based upon my research would like to offer my advice. It would appear that there is now proven evidence to support my numbered statements below. Following of these items will avoid people getting cancers & diabetes and other diseases.”
But I pushed on, mildly interested to see what his numbered items were – they are listed below:
- Avoid caffeine. NB This means avoiding all chocolate. Caffeine is in chocolate !!
- Avoid all sugar
- Avoid all grains (ie wheat, rice, oats etc.)
- Avoid/be careful with starches
- Avoid all alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin/poison & can cause cancer & diabtetes (sic), as to process it the liver has to detoxify it.
- Avoid Omega-6 industrial seed oils (corn, cottonseed, safflower, soybean, etc.)
- Avoid processed soy (soy milk, soy protein, soy flour, etc.)
- Avoid all processed foods & drinks. If it is in a tin/can/bottle etc. it is not fresh, is a processed item and therefore contains toxins. Furthermore, the surface of the tin/jar/bottle that the food/liquid is in contact with is poisoning the item. If the public knew about this, supermarkets and most shops in their presenet (sic) state would not exist !!
- Avoid all prescription drugs
- Avoid casein & dairy
- Avoid all tobacco
Now number 7 isn’t a problem – I don’t like soy milk – and I don’t smoke so number 11 is irrelevant to me, but the rest of them pretty much preclude everything I eat, drink and generally consume on a weekly basis.
I defy anyone, except the most stringent vegan to live on a diet that sticks to these 11 rules. I would go as far as to say that if you do, you aren’t actually living at all, you’re surviving – and probably only just at that. He doesn’t mention red meat, which is a relief I guess!
Needless to say I’ve now deleted the mail and I shall be trying to lose weight while still enjoying life and the rich and varied foods I have in my fridge
I should say that each point in his email is backed up by a number of links (none of which I’ve clicked) and which are obviously the spam part of the message.